Thursday, December 14, 2006

Thank goodness for an internet connection!!! :o) No more smokey atmosphere of the Internet Cafe! Hooray!!

I've not quite managed to get one for the house yet... That is apparently on its way. However - today I spent all day working at the Lidia Foundation headquaters in Sarande, organising their network. This is so that they now have a little room of 6 computers, all hooked up to the internet. This is in preperation for the lessons that I am to be giving after Christmas. It took all day... I've never seen things happen so fast. Normally in the UK, if you need a hole in the wall, you have to wait months for the builders to come round!! These guys took half-an-hour!!! The guys who came, also just drilled a hole. Now keep in mind that there was an electricity socket about 30cms away from the hole.... This didn't seem to worry them. They just drilled. They also found that the wall was thicker than their drill bit, so they seemed to guess at where the first incision was made, from the opposite side, resulting in what can only be described as 'one and a half holes in the wall'. It made me chuckle!!

Cable problems aside (these were handmade cables, and they were a little troublesome) the network was succesfully installed. I was proud of myself for remembering my University training on using hubs in networks and the fact that you need a crossover cable hooked to the router. Sorry - teccy stuff I know, but I was pleased :o)

Not much news apart from that. Weather has been a little overcast, but thats nothing to the rain that the UK has apparently been suffering. Ha ha ha... Sorry - I have to laugh!!

The other day I took a walk around town with my camera. The weather, as you can see was superb. Just thought I'd put the best ones on here, so you can see. Hope you enjoy.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there stranger,

today was the first time I checked out your site and it's good to hear and see that you are doing ok. Just wanted to say keep up the good work and dont get frustarted with the laguage learning bit ;)

take care of yourself,
Birgit. x