Thursday, December 07, 2006

Those of you who know me know that me and early mornings do not mix. This morning I was awoken at 6.15am to go to Greece, and was ushered out of the house before I took even one sip of the coffee I had managed to put together in a doze. Therefore, a happy SiƓn this does not make.

The reason for this impromptu trip across the border was that today was exactly one month since I arrived here in Albania (only two more months to go before I return home!!) and therefore according to Albanian visa laws, my visa had now expired. Its strange though, as none of the policemen we have talked to seem to know about this law, and I would probably have no trouble staying here longer. But at the end of the day – its not worth the risk.

So Bimi and I started off at around 6:30 this morning to head for Greece. The road started off ok – many twists and turns, but not too bad. However – as we got to more open countryside, the roads also got a little bit more rural. I think I hit my head on the roof at least 3 times!! Bimi’s car isn’t in the best of shapes either. Bimi has frequently recalled the numerous accidents this car has been involved in. He calls it a ‘lucky’ car. I would hesitate that it is no more than a ‘death trap’, but I’m not sure of the Albanian for this, so we’ll leave it at that. Anyway – thank God – I’m back home in one piece.

On our travels, we met two policemen – one on the way there, and one on the way back, and we gave them lifts to their destinations. We also came across some sheep and some goats. In the middle of the road. Kind of reminded me of back home in Wales really :o)

As you can see from the photos too – the road was incredibly picturesque. The views at Butrint were amazing, and the pictures we took in the summer of this castle pale into comparison with the ones I took this morning.

My apologies for not writing for a while. I’ve been busy doing mostly church related things – encouraging and teaching Diti and Kiko – the band at church. I’ve also started writing a sermon on marriage. Its not from an ‘experience’ perpective, of course, but as most of you know – I’m going to ask Anna to marry me sometime soon, and so am just checking out all the small print ? My favourite quote is from Proverbs 27:15 – “A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day”. I didn’t know my mother featured in the Bible :o) Just kidding mum!!

Things are going well, but I miss you all very much at home. Keep your comments and emails coming in. Thanks to the two of you who offered some help with the Buggy for Iliar. I haven’t got a reply from the company I wrote to yet, so am trying again today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great shots there mate... what camera are you using?

Good to hear from you - loving reading these when I get a chance... work is beyond manic!

Hope to catch up properly when you're back. God Bless you mate!

Matt

x