Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Imagine life with no elecricity. None whatsoever. What would you miss...? Your TV? Your Microwave? Your brand new stereo, with surround sound? your computer?

Try missing the simpler things. Light. Heat. A kettle to have a cup of tea. You have absolutely no idea how lucky we are in the UK and in the Western world that we have electrcity on tap, and no restrictions or power cuts.

Yesterday, I sat in darkness for an hour and a half, with no heating in the house, and a cup of tea that went cold after 10 mins. God bless batteries, which meant my laptop still worked. But to be honest - I don't know what i would have done without it.... Sleep I guess.

You don't realise how dark it gets.... Its spooky!!



Above is a picture of the bay during a power cut. You can see that some of the buildings are lucky enough to have a generator, but these buildings are few and far between.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but Albania is currently in a state of crisis. They haven't had enough rain to be able to create Electricity of their own at the HydroElectricity plant which isn't far from Sarande. This now means that they have just spent an awful lot of money buying electricity from their "Neighbours" Greece. The Albanians and the Greeks are about as "neighbourly" as Joe Mangle and Harold Bishop!!! Not exactly the best of friends. How will the Albanian Government recoup their losses?? By charging the people double or treble the usual price!!

2 comments:

David van der Vlist said...

Hi Sion, I am sure you don't know me but I've been in Sarandë, Tiranë & Cuke 2 times (summer of 2004 & 2005) please say greetings to Magdalena for me!
David van der Vlist - The Netherlands. See me @ Hyves

Anonymous said...

Afterrrrnoon!! Fantastic blog old boy!