Monday, January 15, 2007

Saturday 13th January

Again - my apologies for the slowness of my writing. I'm just catching up with the updating since the very busy weekend, and lack of internet connection.

Saturday morning was another early(ish) morning. Instead of the usual kids church, I joined Richard and Lynda (his wife) in helping to fetch the Cuke and Orphanage children for Saturday morning football and volleyball. They turned up at my doorstep at 8:50, and the car was jam-packed full of kids!! I thought they came to say 'We'll take them, and come back for you' but no - I got in the car. Half the kids were shouting 'stop' for some reason as we got on our way, and to my horror - one of them had got out as i was getting in!! Richard, though, fully accustomed and aware of their tricks, had noticed, and was only teasing her by driving away and making her run after the car!!



When we arrived at the nunnery, where the football and volleyball training is held, I was shocked to discover that it was about a 10 minute walk away from my house!! When I'd seen pictures of the nunnery previously, it seemed like a place that was miles and miles away in the country. Unfortunately - now it is surrounded by brand new high-rise flats which are currently being built, and are basically an eyesore!! Its amazing how westernised Sarande is becoming, and how property is now fast becoming such a big business in Albania.

I spent a lot of my time taking photos whilst I was there, but it was amazing to see a few things. The first fantastic thing I saw was how well all the cuke children and the Sarande town kids (including the orphanage kids) are getting on. With the exception of poor Tolli, who definately has a physical disability of some sort, the kids have integrated seemlessly. This is such a blessing, as the gypsys are so often the outcasts of soceity. They are also so engulfed in their own community, that it is rare for them to be able to communicate and hang out with other people. This really gives them a fantastic way of developing social skills and increasing their potential later in life.

The second was to see a guy called Shaban there. Shaban is a shopkeeper in the town of Cuke. He has volunteered to help drive the children from Cuke on Saturday morning, for no more than petrol costs. Obviously - a taxi journey would cost over 5 pounds each way, but Shaban is dedicating his time for these children. It is defintaley a ray of sunshine in a world which I have come to realise is a very 'me me me' place.



1) Richard (left) and Shaban...
2) Sadike (i think thats how you spell it) coaching...

Volleyball is a very difficult game. We weren't playing the 3 touch rule, and a lot of the younger Cuke kids were given special treatment, being allowed to serve much closer to the net. But this was good training for them all, and it was great to see smiles on their faces when they scored points on the board (not that i dont think anyone was keeping count though!!).


1) Kristina and a girl from Sarande getting taught by Sadike the coach
2) Training in a group


3) About to serve - one of the Cuke youngsters


4) the girls mid-game...


5) Kristina hitting a return
6) The girls team (and enjoying their well deserved Sprite)


The football was great to watch, especially watching both Kristo and Jorgo. Kristo struggled a bit, hi touch letting him down a few times, and as a youngster he's evidently learning that life outside the Cuke camp will be a bit more difficult, and that its not all that easy to play against a full team. Jorgo on the other hand was in his eliment. He was a fantastic goalkeeper in the training part, and in the outfield he ran rings around the other boys, scoring 3 goals!!


1) Kristo in some 'pre-game tactics' with the Sarande town boys
2) Kristo (top right) with the boys...



3) One of the Sarande kids doing some practice drills
4) One of the orphanage children doing some keep-ups


5) Jorgo shoots and scores....
6) Jorgo showing off his dribbling skills


I would like to ask you to think about contributions to this work. Richard is funding most of the costs which is incurred for this training, and as readers of this blogsite, I am giving you the opportunity to contribute. I dont want you to feel under any pressure, but the more I spend time here, the more I realise that a little goes a long way. I would estimate the costs of this work being 10 pounds a week. Now - obviously - thats a large sum of money, but for 5 people to give 10 pounds a month, means that this project is fully funded for a month. That will include paying the petrol costs, a shaperone for the kids and of course the all important drink of Sprite at the end!! To think that David Beckham is on half a million pounds a week for his new team in the USA - it outrages me to think that a week of his wages would change this city upside down!!!


The boys football team...

No comments: