Monday, January 08, 2007

I’m back. After my secret trip to the UK (which turned out not so secretive in the end) I‘m finding it very hard to adjust back to the routine of living here. I would much prefer to be enjoying being with my fiancé, and making plans for the wedding, but I’m back in Albania. Since arriving, I’ve found out that I’ve forgotten half the words I’d learnt last term. I also brought back some of M&S’s finest coffee. The coffee quality still hasn’t improved, and so I have now totally given up in finding a decent cup of coffee in this place. The only common cause is the water – must be the amount of limescale in it, cos my kettle is white!

I have had bad news regarding Iliar. His neighbours in the flat above have moved out, and have been replaced by a couple and their 20-year old son. This son is highly involved with the gangs of the area, and carries a gun. A couple of days ago, he came down to Iliar’s flat, whilst his parents were out, using the gun as a threat, stole the battery to Iliar’s buggy, and his brand new personal CD player which Richard (the missionary) had given to him as a present. Iliar’s parents are too scared to go to the police and so this man is still at large, and is still a menacing threat to Iliar and his family.

There were 27 kids (and one big kid - me) at the kids church this morning – including about 5 new kids. We also had a relatively full turn-out for Cuke church. This was a busy Saturday though, and I slept well that night.

What really made my day on Sunday was the fact that they were showing Cardiff City and Tottenham on TV here!!! I honestly never thought I would get the chance to watch the (not so) mighty Bluebirds whilst I was here. Who knows – they might even show the replay?! 0-0 was the final score, and I didn’t even miss anything during the power cut!

This week has the potential to be very busy…. I need to work out when I will start the computer lessons with Bimi’s foundation. This will probably involve teaching 4 or 5 lessons per course on the basics of the computer, including how to use Microsoft Word and the Internet.
Update you soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiiiiiiii!!!!!
Congratulations on your engagement...heard all about it from Gregg! You and Anna must be so excited! Was she really shocked or did she suspect something?! I'm sorry I missed you on New Years Day evening (that sounds weird putting 'day' and 'evening' next to each other in the same sentence, but you know what I mean!) - I was actually in but was fast asleep in bed as I had only got back to Reading around 10pm and had no idea what time you would be back so I just went to bed as I was cream-crackered! Really good to read about your experiences in Albania and see the pics! Take care and see you in Feb for Vix's wedding!Luv,Lorraine x

B said...

Hi Sion
COngratulations! and welcome back to blogland!
I am so sorry to hear about Iliar. We will all definately pray for him and his family.
Hang in there! J flew to London about 45 minutes after proposing and I saw him 6 months later, and look at us now ;) love B

Anonymous said...

SION!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Saw the rather beautiful ring on Sunday - good job. I can't believe Anna didn't know you were coming home... Everyone did such a good job of keeping it a secret!

See you for the V + K's wedding when I will be supremely fat - hurrah!

Much love Soose ( and Anders!)