Tuesday, November 14, 2006

After my meeting with Richard, who has been a missionary here from Birmingham for over 10 years, he took me to see his good friend Romi. Romi is a barber, and I found out (through my very basic Albanian) that he has been a barber for over 30 years. When I explained how I wanted my hair cut, I prayed a lot that he would understand. In my terrible Albanian, I continued to tell him that I wanted the top short, but the sides and back even shorter. I think he understood, but when he got the number 3 razor out first, and cut my head into the shape of a mushroom, I was beginning to get a bit scared. Thankfully – he did it very well…. Who needs a Tony and Guy hair cut for fifty quid, when you can have a cut from Romi for the equivalent of one pound fifty?? Bargain!!

This afternoon, I continued in my Albanian lesson, failing miserably to remember I am, You are, He is…. Etc etc. Its something so simple, and yet so complicated. I am really finding it tough – especially then putting things into practice.

I must admit I slept in this morning – something I have been doing quite a lot. This is only because I have been waking up to the sound of screeching brakes quite a lot lately. There is (and this a good thing) a very large and thick piece of rope lying across the street now, since our last visit as a team, to slow the traffic outside. It is quite a hefty piece of rope – enough to make drivers slow right down (a little like the bumps on Beech Lane, for those of you living in Reading). The problem is – there’s no signposts, so the drivers are seeing it at the last minute and skid to a halt. I’m sure I’ll get used to it though!! I haven’t heard the cockerel for a while, but I’m assured its because I’m used to the sound now, because I would have been eating it if it were dead :o)



My morning meeting with Richard was very productive. We have been discussing both politics (unfortunately of the church variety), and ways of raising money for the Cuke gypsy people. Richard suggests that we contribute money towards their education, providing funds to purchase both books as well as contribute towards funding the employment of a full time teacher. This is one sure-fire way of helping them help themselves. I think it may be too late for the older generation, but the younger generation should be molded to help shape the future of their settlement.

Contact me further if you would like to contribute regular donations to this work.
Thanks.


2 comments:

B said...

Hi Sion

I am loving your Blog! I think I recognise the little girl in the green from Cuke! She has hardly changed but looks much taller. I will try and find her pic and post it on my Blog later. Joni is so handsome and grown up! I wish I was there again.....
Have a wonderful day and we will pray for you!
Love B

Anonymous said...

Hi Sion, so sorry to miss you before you went out to Albania. It sounds amazing and I admire you for going over there. Will keep watching the blog site. Any prayer requests? God bless, Chris